We ourselves only use earth friendly packaging – with plastics used only as a very last resort if we cannot obtain a glass, paper or tin alternative container.
Recent research has shown that the use of phthalates (a chemical softening agent) implicated as an endocrine system disruptor in the manufacture of plastics can leach into oil based contents. Plastic is also the number one environmental pollution curse. Beauty and the bees do not use plastic containers except for bottle caps and inserts, where we have no choice. Packaging is in amber glass (not plastic) and we use recycled paper materials/boxes.
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMPLAIN OR SEND NEGATIVE FEEDBACK TO US ABOUT YOUR MAIL ORDER AND THE WAY THAT IT WAS PACKAGED.
And, frankly, give small business a break! We are the low hanging fruit/easy target for spurious complaints, yet we are bending over backwards to do the right thing! We notice that no-one bothers to target Mc Donalds with their humungous waste, but howls with rage when receiving a package from us, failing to read this information, even though it is on our site here.
We have been in business for 24 years and tried every physical method known to send packages safely and we know that the way we send it works: if you can do it better, please enlighten us!
Using any other method other than bubble wrap results in breakages and we will rapidly go broke, since Australia Post will take no care or responsibility, and we have to replace the package at our cost with the client blaming US, not the courier.
- Since we pack in enviro friendly glass, we absolutely NEED to use bubble wrap to ensure safe arrival of your goods because Australia Post /Couriers are EXTREMELY ROUGH in handling packages – BUT!!! we only use Sancell’s new biodegradeable product-Ecobubble, which you can recycle yourself in your recycle bin, or better still reuse it yourself.
- Find out more about this Ecobubble product here:
- Where bags are required ( for free samples of soaps, etc in mail orders) we use biodegradeable cellophane bags, and only kraft recycled paper bags instore.
- We use only recycled/earth friendly shipping materials to pack mail orders aside from the plastic bags that are supplied by Australia Post/Courier businesses and we have no choice in this.
- All our packing “bubbles” are made of wheat or corn, are edible, AND recycled from other stores within Centrepoint shopping Centre in Hobart where our store is situated- so they are doubly used. We suggest that you compost them, (we have heard that they are great for chooks!) or reuse again wherever possible.
- Packing boxes are all recycled Kraft card.
- The spoons/spatulas provided with our moisture creams are not plastic but also biodegradeable made of cornstarch.
We use only recyclable clear or brown glass where necessary to prevent light damage to the vitamin-rich contents.
Where possible we use only recycled paper pulp packaging/printed matter (this is extremely difficult in Australia with limited supply sources available here).
All our products are handmade in a chemical and detergent -free environment.
As a small, environmentally sensitive, local producer we do not create megafactory waste. Indeed, we recycle wherever possible. Our original store in Bellerive was built entirely from re-cycled materials from a local Resource and Waste Management Co-operative.