The Beauty and the bees philosophy is to harvest, create and provide purely natural products, without chemicals, animal tested ingredients or products, plastic or hype… done with care since 1993.
Here is how we care for you and the environment:
Our products, and importantly all ingredients, are virtually all edible or foods, tested only on humans (not animals) and have been since people began using these natural ingredients to care for their bodies.
We support wherever possible local producers, small raw material supply businesses.
We do not use synthetics. We use no petrochemicals, harsh chemical scents or chemical preservatives, so that you can be absolutely sure that no animal has suffered to produce your product. Herbs and honey have been used by humans for centuries without the harmful side effects increasingly evident in today’s chemical-laden world.
We ourselves only use earth friendly packaging – with plastics used only as a very last resort if we cannot obtain a glass, paper or tin alternative container.
Recent research has shown that the use of phthalates (a chemical softening agent) implicated as an endocrine system disruptor in the manufacture of plastics can leach into oil based contents. Plastic is also the number one environmental pollution curse. Beauty and the bees do not use plastic containers except for bottle caps and inserts, where we have no choice. Packaging is in amber glass (not plastic) and we use recycled paper materials/boxes.
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMPLAIN OR SEND NEGATIVE FEEDBACK TO US ABOUT YOUR MAIL ORDER AND THE WAY THAT IT WAS PACKAGED.
And, frankly, give small business a break! We are the low hanging fruit/easy target for spurious complaints, yet we are bending over backwards to do the right thing! We notice that no-one bothers to target Mc Donalds with their humungous waste, but howls with rage when receiving a package from us, failing to read this information, even though it is on our site here.
We have been in business for 24 years and tried every physical method known to send packages safely and we know that the way we send it works: if you can do it better, please enlighten us!
Using any other method other than bubble wrap results in breakages and we will rapidly go broke, since Australia Post will take no care or responsibility, and we have to replace the package at our cost with the client blaming US, not the courier.
- Since we pack in enviro friendly glass, we absolutely NEED to use bubble wrap to ensure safe arrival of your goods because Australia Post /Couriers are EXTREMELY ROUGH in handling packages – BUT!!! we only use Sancell’s new biodegradeable product-Ecobubble, which you can recycle yourself in your recycle bin, or better still reuse it yourself.
- Find out more about this Ecobubble product here:
- Where bags are required ( for free samples of soaps, etc in mail orders) we use biodegradeable cellophane bags, and only kraft recycled paper bags instore.
- We use only recycled/earth friendly shipping materials to pack mail orders aside from the plastic bags that are supplied by Australia Post/Courier businesses and we have no choice in this.
- All our packing “bubbles” are made of wheat or corn, are edible, AND recycled from other stores within Centrepoint shopping Centre in Hobart where our store is situated- so they are doubly used. We suggest that you compost them, (we have heard that they are great for chooks!) or reuse again wherever possible.
- Packing boxes are all recycled Kraft card.
- The spoons/spatulas provided with our moisture creams are not plastic but also biodegradeable made of cornstarch.
We use only recyclable clear or brown glass where necessary to prevent light damage to the vitamin-rich contents.
Where possible we use only recycled paper pulp packaging/printed matter (this is extremely difficult in Australia with limited supply sources available here).
All our products are handmade in a chemical and detergent -free environment.
As a small, environmentally sensitive, local producer we do not create megafactory waste. Indeed, we recycle wherever possible. Our original store in Bellerive was built entirely from re-cycled materials from a local Resource and Waste Management Co-operative.
Why we only use natural ingredients.
Our skin is the largest absorptive organ in the human body.
What is placed on the skin is readily absorbed, making its way through our internal systems.
Prove it to yourself! Try rubbing a cut garlic clove on the sole of your foot. The distinctive odour will appear on your breath in just a minute.
So what are petrochemicals doing to our body as well as our skin?
The Beauty and the bees’ solution was to start making skincare products by hand, using people-friendly herbs, honey, food such as grains and nuts, and natural oils and waxes.
These products usually produce a visible improvement on your skin after a short time, even if you are suffering from eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis or other superficial skin problems.